So earlier today, I wrote a very long entry, but I was too quick to hit publish and I lost the whole entry. I'll try to remember what I wrote about, but even if I don't, we have had another full day (and it's only early afternoon!) already.
Yesterday, we went to more temples- the beautiful Lady's temple and the jungle temple made famous by Angelina Jolie. Both were incredible, but it's amazing how crowded the sites were, even early in the morning. In the afternoon, we took a boatride down a canal to the Tonle Sap Lake. This lake is amazing because it is incredibly huge during the rainy season, but very small during the dry season. The water flows down from the Himalayas into the Mekong, which divides into four parts, some flowing into the South China Sea, some through Viet Nam and then some flows north to south into the Tonle Sap, because Cambodia is like a big bowl! It has tons, I mean that literally, of fish that are taken from it every year. The canal is lined with houseboats, where people live and have fish farms. They take their houses apart twice a year; now, to move them up to higher ground as the lake is filling with water, and then during the dry season, they'll move them further back toward the lake. There were boats with fresh vegetables going down the canal selling to the families, there were boats with kids selling cokes, who jumped like monkeys onto our boat and then back again, once they'd made the sale. There was the floating school, floating basketball court, cloating Catholic church, mosque and Buddhist temple on stilts. We stopped at a floating restaurant that had a fish farm, with huge catfish. Molly had a blast feeding the fish and watching the "churning waters." We didn't feed her to the crocodiles, which mostly just looked bored.
Today, we had a new guide, Mr. Chenh, who took us on a tour of his village where he grew up. This was an up close and personal look at rural Cambodians. It was also an exciting day because it was a celebration day, so everyone was getting ready to go to the Temple. They were cooking rice cakes made of rice and coconut, with soy beans, which was then wrapped in banana leaf and boiled. Another woman was getting the meat out of a palm fruit to make cakes mixed with pounded rice. We ate a sweet treat made from soy beans and nuts and we also drank coconut juice right from the coconut that had been cut from the family's coconut tree!
We then hiked for a few minutes through the jungle to a lake called West Baray, a manmade lake (made hundreds of years ago) for one of the kings of Angkor Wat, who wanted to recreate the creation story, so there is an island in the middle that has the remains of an ancient temple. We weren't able to go there because the lake was low, but we rode across the lake, then met our car and driver and went on our next adventure.
We visited a silk farm, where we got a tour that showed us how Cambodian silk is made. I already knew that the silk worms are killed in order to preserve the threads. Some of them are used for breeding and some of them are allowed to make the cocoon, but after five days, they're boiled and then the threads are very carefully stretch out and made into thread. Chinese silk is naturally white, but Cambodian silk is naturally yellow. We saw the whole process, including the dyeing process, including an intricate tiedyeing process, and the weaving. Then, of course, we went to the store and had fun spending money! I think we all really understood for the first time why silk is so expensive. The best thing we bought was silk for the tallit Molly will wear next year for her bat mitzvah.
Now, we've eaten another amazing lunch, with fresh springrolls, coconut curry, chicken fried rice, and a delicious chocolate mousse. Oh, and Ken had a melted cheese sandwich.
In about an hour, we're going to visit an English class and then we'll visit the squatter's village behind this bed and breakfast. I'd like to encourage all of our friends to visit the website for Journeys Within. Not only is this a lovely oasis with a well organized program for seeing Siem Reap, they have some very good programs.
I want you to know how much we appreciate everyone's comments. It's nice to have the connection with home and to know that you're following our adventures.
love to all,
Lisa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These details are great, Lisa. I am so enjoying your trip even if only from afar. Thanks for taking the time to fill us in on all your adventures. It's just awesome. BTW, my apologies for the deleted comment from Madeline the other day. She was signed in, but I didn't realize it. I am still learning.
ReplyDeleteSu s'day everyone!
ReplyDeleteAunt Lisa, That's incredible that the people living in the canal move their home twice a year. I get anxious moving once a year, as is! Also, you're making my mouth water from the descriptions of the food at the celebration-- I can only imagine what the pictures (esp with Isaac's photography skills!) are going to look like! Oh and I'm very glad you decided not to feed Molly to the crocs :-P
Why was it that you were able to get a better deal for the straw hat (is that what it was) than Isaac could get? You would think that they would haggle more with men as opposed to women.
Molly- I think the tallit that you bought there will mean so much to you in future years... especially on the day of your Bat Mitzvah. Great purchase!
Ethan, great blog earlier... very insightful! It just goes to show you that one tiny movement/action/thought can lead to an incredible change of sequence of events (reminds me of the Butterfly Effect).
love,
jen
p.s. Uncle Kenny, I don't think that Dad or Mom will understand how to go through and read this blog.... so I'll show them next time I'm home! In the meantime, everyone says hi and sends their love!
I've enjoyed reading everyone's blogs. It's great to read everyone's perspectives. What an experience it must be!
ReplyDeleteI almost took Arlo home with me because he's the sweetest dog!
Lisa, how amazing your trip continues to sound. Wow, I can't wait to see the pictures! I love it when Molly blogs, she sounds so excited. Keep the updates coming. Safe Travels!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Just WOW. What an amazing experience, all of it, and you guys have done an awesome job of processing it as you moved along the path. I'm green with jealousy, the food sounds wonderful, the lakes, beaches, people - it all sounds so incredible!
ReplyDelete