Monday, July 13, 2009

On our way home!

Writing from Taipei- Where to begin. Yesterday was an intense day. We started out going to a photo gallery, which was closed, but the guard opened it for us. Young Cambodian photographers, interesting show. Then on to Tuol Sleng, the school that had been turned into a torture prison, where many of Cambodia's well educated and westernized were tortured and killed. Each prisoner was photographed as well, all of this was documented. Very grim. Molly chose not to join us, which I think was a wise choice.

We then spent several hours doing errands that seemed to take forever, but in the end, were very worthwhile- photos for Molly's family, in frames. We drove to her mom's house, which is down a dirt road, with lots of big potholes. Thon got us there, safe and sound and then we filled the car with lots of people and went for a long drive over the river to a Cambodian's Cambodian restaurant. Everyone was pleased, and we did lots of chatting in our two different languages with Lyna and Thon helping everyone to understand each other.

The drive back included a long way to Molly's aunt's house and then back to drop off her mom, other aunts and her grandmother. Molly looks so much like her grandmother, it's breathtaking. As you can imagine, we were quite exhausted by the time we got back to the hotel. We couldn't sleep, we ordered pizzas and french fries and then watched Harry Potter!

Ken and Isaac took the tuk tuk ride of a lifetime at 6:30 am, to go get some last minute souvenirs. They had to help the driver push the tuk tuk to a gas station! Well, now we're on our way home after a tearful and very emotional goodbye with Molly's family at the airport. And our flight is leaving here soon, so I'll post more from L.A. love to all,
Lisa

3 comments:

  1. Hi Molly and family! This is Anita. My dad is in NYC right now! My mom and I are going on Wednesday and we're all coming back on Friday. To Molly - I haven't got a postcard yet! Hmmm...
    Well, a tearful goodbye is DEFINITELY understandable. I hope you have a safe flight and enjoy the Cambodian Culture Camp! Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an incredible day as well as weeks. Having to say goodbye is always hard. I am so glad you all had a good time. Safe Travels home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arlo looks forward to your return as well!! It sounds like you all had an amazing time. I can only imagine what has been going through Molly's mind after meeting her birth mom and family. She is much more curious/courageous than I am! But it seems it was the right thing for Molly to do! In a way I am proud of you Moll-ster! Have a safe journey home!

    --Brent

    ReplyDelete